Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stolen Wheelbarrows

Harry Hershfield, Laugh Louder Live Longer (New York: Gramercy Publishing Company, 1959), p. 166.

One of the better Communist stories. Every night, after factory hours, one of the workers would come out with a wheelbarrow filled with rubbish. The guard would examine it, find nothing and then let him pass. However, the guard was suspicious; that the fellow was stealing something, but he saw no proof. After months of the same procedure, he again examined the rubbish in the wheelbarrow and found nothing of value. The guard then said to him: "I know you're stealing something every night, but I can't discover what it is. Now, I'm being transferred from here to another city tonight, so I don't care anymore; but for my own sake, tell me, what are you stealing?" "Wheelbarrows," came the confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment